By: Lindsey Elam, Certified Prevention Specialist
In 2016, the Iowa Youth Survey was completed among age groups 6th, 8th, and 11th graders of several schools. This survey is completed every two years and data is also available by county and specific school district.
The following information shares 11th graders past 30 day use for the entire state of Iowa broken down by substance.
- 21% of 11th graders had at least 1 drink in the past 30 days a decrease from 26% in 2014
- 13% of 11th graders have binge drank in the past 30 days a decrease from 17% in 2014
- 6% of 11th graders have smoke cigarettes in the past 30 days a decrease from 14% in 2014
- 4% of 11th graders used smokeless tobacco in the past 30 days a decrease from 6% in 2014
- 9% of 11th graders used electronic smoking devices (e-cigarettes/vaporizers) in the past 30 days an increase from 8% in 2014
- 10% of 11th graders used marijuana in the past 30 days an increase from 4% in 2014
- 5% of 11th graders use a prescription drug that was not prescribed to them in the past 30 days an increase from 3% in 2014
The Iowa Youth Survey also contains information about access, perception of risk, mental health, among other information. To find the entire survey go to www.iowayouthsurvey.iowa.gov or for more information contact the Area Substance Abuse Council Prevention Department at email@example.com.